Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Elvis & Priscilla... may they live a long happy life!



Meet Elvis (left) and Priscilla (right). They are my only pets. (I will eventually get a dog and cat too.) I love animals! (Are fish animals?) Ok... let me rephrase... I love pets! Elvis & Priscilla are Betta's. I have never had Betta's before but my hunky dude has. He got Elvis a couple of months ago. He talked about always wanting to breed Betta's so I kept saying, "I'll get a female and you can breed them." I found another fish bowl and the thrift store and my hunky dude got Priscilla for me. What else could I name her since Elvis was already in the house!  :). I don't know a lot about Betta's but I do know that they have to be kept separate as they fight. (Exactly how you breed them I have no clue so I'll leave that up to the hunky dude.) So they live next door to each other on our coffee table. They often interact together... it's so cute! Eventually the hunky dude will breed them but for now they are my friends and entertainment. I never knew fish could be so interactive with people. Any time I'm around Priscilla she greets me... and when I wave at her she dances for me. Yes I may seem a little over the edge with my fish but they are the only pets I have and I am a pet person.  :)  It's been driving the hunky dude a little crazy but he's getting used to it and actually seems to be interacting a little more with the couple than he was. I've even seen him smile at them more often.  :)

So you might ask why I'm talking so much about my fish. Well... first of all they are my pets and part of my life and of course I have to share them with you!  :)  Secondly I made the quilted table topper they're sitting on just for them. Every time we cleaned their bowls and put them back on the table there always seemed to be some residual moisture on them. Hunky dude was putting a towel under them but that was so boring. I had some scraps laying around that I thought would be perfect. I had to go get a little more to add for the backing so I picked up one that looked like water to me and I got down to business. The fabrics remind me of water and are really fun!


It was a simple design and I even tried a little free motion quilting in the sashings. It's very rough but was fun! Here's the back side.


I'm really happy with how it turned out and how it sets the fish off nicely! Have you ever made a project just for your pets? I would love it if you would share!

Until next time...
Cherise  :)

p.s. I would love it if you follow me! I will return the favor! Have a Nice Day!  :)

4 comments:

Janelle said...

I love it--great job! I LOVE bettas! We have a gorgeous, purple-and-red crowntail betta. He's all alone in his tank right now, but we're about to get him some (non-betta) friends. You're so right--they're so personable with such fun personalities! Gotta love em!

-Janelle
homemadethisandthat.blogspot.com

Karen said...

I love your fishies and your table runner! It totally looks like it belongs under the sea with all those rich colors! Awesome!

Sewandthecity said...

Hi, thank you for your kind words! I love your quilt...in fact I have total respect for quilters...i find it amazing and although I can sew, I can't quilt!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

How cute! I bet your fishies just love it!