Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Treasure Tuesday...

I managed to get to two thrift stores this weekend. I didn't find too much though. The first store had absolutely NOTHING! I couldn't believe it! Usually I find at least something I like... but there wasn't anything. Then I only found two items at the second store. Their linen racks were totally picked over. I've never seen them so sparse! I did manage to find one really pretty sheet. It's yellow with beautiful pink and lavender flowers. It also has a ruffle. It's in great shape!


The only other item I found is... yes... a salt and pepper shaker set! Surprise, surprise... lol!  :)  It is a special one though. It's one of those tourist sets that you get when you go somewhere. Guess what? It's from the 1974 World's Fair that was held in Spokane, Washington. Guess what else? I was there! I was so excited to find these! My grandfather lived in British Columbia, Canada and every year we used to drive in our motorhome to go visit him. In 1974 the World's Fair was going on in Washington and it was on our way so we stopped. I don't remember too much about it, but I do remember going there. Here they are...


I used to love going and visiting my grandpa in Canada. He lived in Burns Lake. He owned many acres of land with a large lake on his property. He lived in a log cabin built by a man with one arm (no not the man from the fugitive... lol!). There was no electricity or running water. There was a water pump in the house and a wood burning stove. And there was an outhouse outside. It was so primitive, but I still loved it! It was so serene and peaceful. We would go fishing, read, hangout and just talk. It was really nice! I miss it! We stopped going when I got in high school and I never went back or saw him again. My grandpa died a few years ago but his land's still there in the family. I hope I'll get back there someday to see it and visit my other relatives that still live in the area.

A couple of weeks ago I visited with my sister and she gave me some goodies. The first is a set of 12 fat quarters of "Christmas Traditions" by Windham Fabrics. She said it wasn't her style so she gave it to me. Total score! Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. Here's a couple of pictures of it...



My sister also picked up a few vintage sheets for me. They are awesome and much different than the ones I come across. The first one is white with orange, white and pink flowers and green stems...


The next one will go really well with the ones I have set aside for the project for my daughter. It has a green background with white flowers...


The next one is white with pink flowers outlined in black...


The last one is my favorite! It's white with sweet detailed pink roses with green leaves...


Isn't it awesome! I love it! Thank you Tammie for thinking of me and sharing your fabulous finds! Love you! :)  She also gave me some other awesome things that I'll share another day. For now take care of yourself and remember to smile!   :)

Until next time...
Cherise  :)


2 comments:

Wendy said...

What a lot of lovely treasures. How fun for you thinking of new projects to make with your new fabric.

Karen said...

Cute salt & pepper shakers! And how awesome is it that your sister gives you such thoughtful gifties? I only have a brother and I don't think he'll be giving me fabric any time soon :)